Friday, July 4, 2014

Cinnamon Blondies



I really like it when chocolate companies make interesting varieties of chips. I used to make these chocolate meltaway cookies with raspberry chocolate chips and they were the best thing ever. Unfortunately, the company stopped making raspberry chocolate chips and I’ve not been able to find an appropriate replacement. Everything I’ve tried had a nasty artificial flavor to it. One chip that I’ve also fallen in love with are cinnamon chips. Hopefully the company won’t discontinue this flavor!

The cinnamon chips can be tricky to find, as not all grocery stores carry them. Some stores carry them for a while, then discontinue them, just to bring them back at another time. It’s really frustrating, so I try to keep a package or two on hand. I had used up most of my supply, but luckily I was able to restock at the one store that I know consistently carries the chips. (Albertsons, if you are wondering.) If all else fails, you can order cinnamon chips through King Arthur Flour, but I haven’t tried the ones they sell.

These come together quickly and bake up just perfectly. I made the glaze according to the original recipe, which only called for 1/3 cup of powdered sugar, but that was too thin, so I added more powdered sugar. The glaze is very cinnamon-y which is nice. I cut these in bars, took them to work and I hadn’t tasted one until I took a break mid-morning. Wow, these are fabulous! The cinnamon flavor is awesome. They do remind me a lot of snickerdoodles, which are my favorite. These are bars that you don’t want to miss.

Cinnamon Blondies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2½ teaspoons vanilla
2⅔ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
10 ounce package cinnamon chips

3/4 cup powdered sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until incorporated. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the cinnamon chips. Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan.

Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bars comes out clean. Cool the bars completely on a wire rack. 

Make the glaze: in a small bowl combine the powdered sugar, cinnamon and milk.

Remove the bars from the pan and peel away the foil. Drizzle the glaze on top of the bars. Allow the glaze to set before cutting into bars.

1 comment:

kylee said...

Wow - these sound and look amazing.
Must try blondies myself!