Monday, December 22, 2014

Chocolate Cookies with Candy Cane Topping



I’ve already made a different peppermint cookie this holiday season, but I hadn’t yet made a chocolate and mint option. My friend at work mentioned that she loves the candy cane kisses that are out this time of the year. I was looking online and found these cookies that used melted candy cane kisses as the topping for a chocolate cookie and I knew that I couldn’t resist. I loved how fun the pink topping looked!

I changed this recipe a little, making it less peppermint-y. I only used ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract as I find a little goes a long way. I also used regular chocolate chips in the dough, rather than the mint ones that the original recipe called for. I thought I had ready through the recipe but I had missed that. I figured they had enough other mint in them anyway.

This recipe had you shape the cookies then refrigerate them; I just refrigerated the dough and then shaped the cookies, which worked out fine. I baked mine for the longer part of the baking time, they just seemed too soft after 12 minutes. I was a little worried about melting the kisses, as white chocolate can be challenging to work with. I think mine were melted after 90 seconds. The chocolate was so warm and thin that I did let it cool and thicken before topping the cookies. Otherwise the topping would have dripped off of the cookies! I think these cookies just look and taste great; so festive!

Chocolate Cookies with Candy Cane Topping
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (or chips)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
 1 cup chocolate chips
 1 bag Hershey's candy cane kisses

In a microwave or in the top of a double boiler, melt the semi-sweet chocolate; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Stir in the peppermint extract.    

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. With the mixer running on low add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by half of the melted chocolate. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and the remaining melted chocolate. Stir in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula. 

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. 

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.  

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are set and the tops of the cookies are crackly. Cool completely before topping.

Make the topping: unwrap the candy cane kisses and place in a bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring frequently, until melted. Allow the topping to set a little to thicken. Dip the tops of the cookies in the topping and place on a wire rack to set. 

No comments: