Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Eggnog Sprinkle Refrigerator Cookies



I usually plan ahead a little bit better but this year it seems like I did 90% of my Christmas baking over two days. While I love to bake, it just isn’t as much fun when you have so many things to accomplish in a day. This type of cookie, a refrigerator cookie, can really help save the day because you make the dough when you have a couple of minutes one day, and then bake them up at your convenience.

I love eggnog so I was thrilled when Peabody posted these on Facebook the other day. They looked so festive and I hadn’t yet picked an eggnog cookie for this year. I knew that my husband would be thrilled if I had eggnog left over for him to drink, so he gladly went to the store with me to get the eggnog and sprinkles that I needed for this recipe. I had snowflake and candy cane sprinkles, but I thought they would be a little weird in a cookie.

These came together beautifully and the only challenge is cutting them in even slices. These baked up so well and they just looked perfect when they came out of the oven. I decided not to glaze them since they did look so perfect! These perhaps aren’t the fanciest cookies ever, but they sure look festive!

Eggnog Sprinkle Refrigerator Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
½ cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup holiday colored sprinkles
  
In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium until light. Add the egg nog and vanilla and stir, don’t worry that the mixture may look a little curdled. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and nutmeg. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the holiday sprinkles. 

Divide the dough in two halves and shape into to logs, each about 10” long. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Remove the cookies from the refrigerator and peel away the plastic wrap. Slice ¼” thick and place on the prepared baking sheets. 

Bake for 10 minutes, until puffed and slightly golden brown on the bottom.

No comments: