Friday, February 6, 2015

Biscoff Sandwich Cookies



Sometimes when we do our weekly grocery shopping, we can’t quite get everything at one store. I am thankful that we have fairly well stocked stores, as I’ve heard some horror stories of folks who like in places where the grocery store doesn’t carry any number of items that are needed. I was having trouble finding pizza dough at the regular store so I ended up at Trader Joe’s. Certainly not an unusual store but I don’t always get there since their parking lot can be a challenge.

We were just there to find one thing, pizza dough, but of course we have to look at the section of new items. They always have interesting things, so what’s the harm in looking? I noticed that they had cookie butter sandwich cookies. Their version were shortbread cookies sandwiched together with cookie butter (their version of Biscoff) spread. I figured I could certainly make my own version of those!

I ended up using a sugar cookie recipe, one that looked like they would be fairly flat and sandwich well. The original recipe had you roll the cookies in sugar, but I skipped that since I thought it would be weird in a sandwich cookie. I just substituted Biscoff/cookie butter spread for the peanut butter in the filling, and that seemed to work very well. This recipe made 2-1/2 dozen sandwiches, since I made the cookies on the smaller side. The cookies have a nice crunch paired with the sweetness of the filling. In some cookies, I was a little stingy with the filling, so make sure that you don’t skimp on the filling.


Biscoff Sandwich Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon of salt

3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Biscoff spread
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking sheets.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until light. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Stir on low to combine. You may need to stop the mixer and scrape the bowl with a spatula to ensure that all of the flour gets mixed in to the dough.

Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. (I used about 1-1/2 teaspoons dough per cookie.) 

Bake for about 12 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before putting the cookies together into sandwiches.

Make the filling: in a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, Biscoff spread and powdered sugar on medium until smooth. Add the heavy cream and beat until light. Sandwich the cookies together in pairs with the Biscoff filling.

Cookie recipe from Savory Sweet Life
Filling recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod

1 comment:

V. Mac said...

These cookies were better, I want to say creamier, than sugar cookies. The filling was also lighter than peanut butter. All together a more elegant option to peanut butter cookies. Excellent!