Friday, February 20, 2015

Glazed Lemon Sugar Cookies



I love a good lemon dessert, and lemon cookies are no exception. I think of spring when I think of lemon desserts, and I know a lot of people are ready for spring! We’ve had pretty nice weather in the Seattle area, which is great, but it seems like the rest of the country has been hit so hard with winter. So here’s a little peek to spring, even if the weather outside isn’t cooperating.

This recipe said that it made about 2-1/2 dozen cookies, and I usually like to make at least 3 dozen to make sure that I have enough to take to work and still have some at home. I don’t think my husband appreciates it very much when there are no cookies left. I decided to do 1 and a half times the recipe listed here, and made just over 3 dozen cookies. You’d have to make them pretty tiny to get 2-1/2 dozen out of this recipe. If you want a nice big batch, just double the recipe.

I did roll my cookies in powdered sugar, but somehow that disappeared while the cookies baked. I’ve never had that problem before! It’s a little hard to tell when the cookies are done, as you don’t really want them to brown. I baked mine for 10 minutes and they still looked a tiny bit wet on top so one more minute seemed right. These cookies have a wonderful lemon flavor. If you want even more lemon flavor, you can make the glaze with lemon juice rather than milk, which is what I did.

Glazed Lemon Sugar Cookies   
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ cups flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar

1 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons milk or lemon juice   

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix on medium until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir just until the flour is incorporated.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls. Roll the balls in powdered sugar and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until set. The cookies will not be browned. Cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Make the glaze: in a small bowl whisk the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Add additional milk if the glaze is too thick to drizzle; add powdered sugar if the glaze is too thin. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.

Recipe from Swanky Recipes

No comments: