Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lemon Madeleines



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is for lemon madeleines. I’ve made madeleines many times before, but they are always a little different. This is a pretty traditional recipe, but I wouldn’t expect anything different from a Dorie Greenspan recipe. The only unusual aspect of these cookies was the glaze, but I opted to not glaze these because I prefer my madeleines not too sweet. Make sure that you check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blog to see the links left by all of these week’s bakers.

Most madeleines have you rest and refrigerate the batter and some point. Sometimes you rest the batter then put it in the pan, other times you but the batter in the pan and then rest and refrigerate. This recipe does a little bit of both; I made the batter one day and refrigerated it overnight. Once you put the batter in the pan, you then rest and refrigerate for an hour. Not the recipe you want to make if you are in a hurry.

I didn’t use the mixer at all to make these, and I think that they turned out better. In the bowl from my mixer, even though I fold in the butter with a spatula, it never works quite right. My madeleines are nice and light and rose beautifully. As I said I didn’t glaze them, but they are really nice as is. I never can get a very good photograph of the madeleines I make, but don’t let that fool you, these are great!

Recipe from Baking Chez Moi by Dorie Greenspan, page 212

6 comments:

Zosia said...

They look wonderful - glad you enjoyed them.

kitchen flavours said...

I totally agree with you, these madeleines are great! And your madeleines looks lovely!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

I'm sure they were great! even though you do need a lot of time for the resting, I like they they are so easy to make.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Lovely looking little cakes. And they are hard to photograph, aren't they?!

Anonymous said...

I thought the ones I folded in rather than mixing turned out better so it's interesting to hear someone else say that too.

Cher Rockwell said...

I agree with you on the mixer for folding - I think that bump at the bottom of the bowl can make a good fold difficult.
Looks good