Friday, April 24, 2015

Extra Large Sugar Cookie with Sprinkles



This week has been a long week. I always take cookies on Friday to work but I actually took a personal day. I still planned to bake and bring cookies earlier in the week. I had the perfect cookies selected and made them one night. Have you ever had a recipe that you started and just thought, “These are never going to work?” Yes, it was one of those recipes, and I was right, they didn’t turn out. Sometimes I wonder if the recipe had truly worked for the original person, but who knows.

So I wanted to bake something, but didn’t need a big batch. I could always just cut down a big batch, but I went searching online for something that caught my interest. I did a search for small batch cookies and came across a recipe for the smallest batch possible: one bib cookie. One big cookie with sprinkles! After a not great week, a giant cookie with sprinkles just seemed appropriate.

The original recipe called for butter, but I was out so I used shortening. I also just used an egg yolk, instead of mixing and measuring 2 tablespoons of egg. Call me lazy! There is so little dough that you have to mix by hand, but it was easy. I wasn’t sure how to mound it on the baking sheet, but I just scooped it from the bowl and made sure it was a nice circle. I baked mine for the longer time, and I thought it would be doughy in the center, but it was just perfect. These cookies are nice and chewy, and the sprinkles are fun. I cut the cookie into 4 wedges for my husband and I to share.

Extra Large Sugar Cookie with Sprinkles
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the shortening and sugar until combined. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and whisk again until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Switch to a spatula and stir until the flour disappears into the dough. Add the sprinkles and stir until they are evenly incorporated into the dough.

Mound the dough in one large round on the prepared baking sheet, about 3-1/2” in diameter.

Bake for 14-18 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. The center may seemed under baked, but it will set as the cookie cools.

Serve as one big cookie or cut into wedges to serve.

No comments: