Friday, September 18, 2015

Chocolate Turtle Cookies


I know that a lot of folks these days are going gluten free, are eating paleo, and following many other specific diets. I sometimes come across recipes that look great, but I’ve found that some recipes that follow specific diets use some unusual ingredients. I think it’s great that there are so many recipes out there for those who need to follow special diets, but I won’t always go and find those varied ingredients. This recipe looked great, and only later did I realize that these are gluten free and lower fat.

This cookie is a little bit different for me, as they don’t start out with butter and sugar! These cookies don’t contain butter at all and the only fat is what is in the mix-ins: chocolate chips, caramel bits and pecans. The original recipe stated that the dough would be wet, but I found my dough to be super sticky and heavy. Better to make a gooey cookie with I guess!

This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies. It seems like there isn’t very much dough, and how the dough will handle all of the mix-ins seems impossible. But it all works out in the end. These are a cookie that you certainly don’t want to over bake. The look cracked and dry when they are done, but still gooey in the center. Make sure you give the cookies a chance to cool before removing from the baking sheets. I tried to rush it a little and the cookie fell to gooey bits as soon as I placed it on the rack. Oops! They cookies have an intense chocolate flavor, just made better by the caramel bits and nuts.

Chocolate Turtle Cookies
3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup caramel bits
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add in the salt. Add in the egg whites and vanilla and whisk until combined. Switch to a spatula and stir in the chocolate chips, caramel bits, and pecans. Dough will be sticky.

Scoop tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, until the cookies look dry. They will still be soft inside. Allow to cool and set at least 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Recipe from Handle the Heat

No comments: