Friday, September 4, 2015

Skillet Almond Butter Cookie



Since I work at a college, our school starts a lot later than most. We had just finished our summer quarter when many other students were returning to the classroom. I’m basically off right now, although it sure hasn’t seemed like I’ve had very much free time. Sure, I’ve gone into work a time or two, but not too much. I’ve read quite a few books and the house is much cleaner than it typically is.

I’ve had the opportunity in the late afternoon to watch a few more television cooking shows than normal. I was watching an episode of Trisha Yearwood’s show and she made this cookie in a skillet. I thought it would be great, as I love almonds and it makes just 12 cookie wedges. When I take cookies to work, I look for a larger batch, but these aren’t going anywhere so it’s probably best there aren’t too many hanging around the kitchen.

This recipe was called shortbread, but shortbread doesn’t contain eggs, so I decided to call this a butter cookie. We don’t use our cast iron skillet very much, so this was the perfect opportunity. The dough comes together in minutes, but it does take a little longer to bake. This cookie doesn’t brown much at all (unless you over bake it) so it is hard to tell when it is done. I could have baked this a minute or two more, but I think it is perfect just like it is. This tastes like a big, chewy, almond cookie. I love the chewy texture and you just can’t beat the almond flavor! I was a touch worried that this cookie would be too cake-like, but that was no issue at all.

Skillet Almond Butter Cookie
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10” cast iron skillet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, add the sugar and melted butter. Mix on medium until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition. Stir in the almond extract. Add the flour and salt to the bowl, and mix on low just until combined.

Spread the dough evenly into the prepared cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, until barely browned along the edges. Allow to cool in the pan. Lift from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into 12 wedges.

No comments: