Thursday, February 25, 2016

Brownie Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze



This month’s theme for What’s Baking is baked donuts. I was pretty excited for this challenge as I have a donut pan and I hadn’t used it in quite a while. I mentioned the challenge to my husband, and before I knew it he had emailed me this recipe for brownie donuts with peanut butter frosting. They sounded great, and pretty decadent, which is good as baked donuts can be not quite as good as the fried variety.

While I knew what donuts I wanted to make, I sure did wait until the last minute to bake them! Everything has been so busy lately and I just hadn’t gotten to baking them. Luckily, these take less than an hour from start to finish, so I was able to get them ready to go. I did decide to use a simpler glaze than the original peanut butter frosting, so that saved some time.

This recipe makes just six donuts, which was perfect. I was worried about the donuts containing no baking powder or baking soda, but they were fine. They are fairly dense, but in a brownie-like way. These are basically one bowl brownies in a donut form. They are very rich, and the peanut butter glaze adds just the right amount of sweetness. Thanks to this month’s host, Kate from Kate’s Recipe Box !

Brownie Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze
6 tablespoons butter
2-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
6 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon peanut butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar
4-5 teaspoons water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 6 count donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large saucepan, or in a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the butter and unsweetened chocolate. Heat over medium heat or in the microwave, until melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the sugar and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Add the eggs and whisk until combined. Add the flour and stir until the batter is smooth.

Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the donut springs back when touched. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan onto a wire rack.

Make the glaze: in a medium bowl combine the peanut butter, powdered sugar, and 4 teaspoons water. Whisk until smooth; if the mixture is too thick, add an additional teaspoon of water. Drizzle over the cooled donuts.

Donut recipe from Nutmeg Nanny. Glaze recipe from All Recipes.

No comments: