Friday, July 1, 2016

Candy Bar Blondies



I felt like making a good bar cookie this week. I had two options, which honestly were remarkably similar to one another. I asked my husband what to bake, and he selected these blondies. I do love a good blondie! When I was baking with the Tuesdays with Dorie group, when it was my turn to pick a recipe I opted for blondies, which ended up being very successful. This recipe is quite similar to that recipe, in that you really have a lot of leeway in selecting what mix-ins you want to use.

This recipe started as a Milky Way blondie. When I went to the store, they didn’t have bags of fun size Milky Ways. They had a bag of mixed candy bars, Milky Way, Milky Way Dark, Snickers, and 3 Musketeers, in the mini size. I figured that would work fine, and the mini ones were a bit easier to chop up anyway. There were also mini Twix in the bag, but those were eaten and/or shared with friends at work.

I didn’t quite know how many candy bars to add in, as I didn’t quite know how many mini bars equal a fun sized bar. I did a rough weight approximation, and it was about 1-1/2 cups chopped. 2-1/2 cups of mix-ins seemed about right. Too much more than that any there wouldn’t be enough dough to support the candy bars! It’s a little hard to tell when they are baked through, as the recipe warned not to over bake, but at 25 minutes they were still raw dough-y in the center. At 29 minutes they looked a touch soft in the middle but I figured they would be fine and they were. These are fairly sweet (well, they do contain several cups of candy!) so cut them small.

Candy Bar Blondies
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Caramel Bits
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups chopped candy bars

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
   
In a large mixer bowl, cream the brown sugar and butter at medium speed. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in caramel bits, chocolate chips, and chopped candy bars. Press evenly into the prepared pan
  
 Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until set along the edges. They may still look slightly under baked in the center. Cool completely. Lift the bars from the pan by the foil and peel away the foil. Cut into bars.

Recipe from Crazy for Crust

No comments: