Friday, August 11, 2017

Twix Caramel Chocolate Crispy Bars



I have yet another no-bake cookie for you this week. We’ve been breaking records with our heat wave, which makes it so hard to bake! I want to bake cookies and it’s getting close to fall, my favorite baking season. But my house it too hot. It was almost too hot to make these! It’s supposed to cool down this weekend and maybe even rain (yippee!) so I am certainly looking forward to that.

This recipe called for a salted caramel chocolate spread, which isn’t something I could find locally. I did find a Twix spread, which was chocolate caramel with cookie bits. I figured that would work great, especially since these are topped with caramel and chocolate like a Twix bar. I really like Twix bars, and they are also popular are work, so I figured these would be a hit. If you can’t find any of these fancy chocolate spreads, you could certainly use Nutella.

I made these in a 9” square pan. If you’d like a thinner bar you could use a 9” x 13” pan. The caramel came together with no problem. I have days when I can make a lovely caramel, and other days when I can’t make it at all. It’s very frustrating! Since my house it so warm, I refrigerated the bars between each step. I don’t think you’d really need to do that, except for the caramel layer, if your kitchen was a normal temperature. When I took these to work, I was asked how I got the chocolate layer so even. My trick is to spread the chocolate as evenly as possible, and then shake the pan until the chocolate is super smooth. These are very decadent, and I think topping any type of crispy bar with caramel and chocolate would be a fantastic idea.

Twix Caramel Chocolate Crispy Bars
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup Twix caramel chocolate spread
6 cups crispy rice cereal

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening

Line a 9” x 9” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium saucepan, combine the corn syrup, sugar, and brown sugar. Heat over medium, stirring until the sugars dissolve. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat. Add the chocolate caramel spread and stir until smooth. Place the cereal in a large bowl. Pour the corn syrup mixture over the cereal. Stir with a spatula until the cereal is coated. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.

Make the caramel: in a medium saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Heat over low heat, stirring, until the mixture comes to a low boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the caramel over the bars. Allow to cool before topping with chocolate.

Make the topping: in a microwaveable bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth. Pour the chocolate over the cooled caramel and smooth into an even layer. Allow the chocolate to set before cutting into bars.

Recipe from My Baking Addiction

No comments: