Friday, October 27, 2017

Pecan Pie Cookies



I really like pecan pie, so when I came across these cookies, I knew that I had to give them a try. I’ve made pecan tassies before, which are like miniature pecan pies baked in mini muffin cups. I’d not seen the idea translated into cookie form, but I figured that it would be good! I don’t make a lot of sugar cookies, as they usually need to refrigerate, but this is a non-refrigerated sugar cookie base, so they don’t take too long at all.

This recipe makes two dozen cookies, slightly larger than the typical cookies that I bake. While they don’t take too long to make, they are a little fussy to make. Getting the indentation right takes some extra care. I found that flattening the cookies first, and then I used a tart tamper to make the indentation. I pressed the filling up around the tart tamper so that there was a clear wall to hold in the filling. You could also use a smaller glass if you don’t have a tart tamper.

When I bake cookies, I bake them for a couple minutes less than the time stated in the original recipe. That way, I can adjust the time and I make sure that the cookies don’t over bake. I always err on the side of under baking, as I figure the cookies bake a little more as they cool on the baking sheet. These cookies don’t brown all that much, so it’s harder to tell when they are baked. They are soft when they come out of the oven, but set nicely as they cool. These are crunchy around the edges, but a nice softer center. They are reminiscent of pecan pie, but not quite as overly sweet as pecan pie can be.

Pecan Pie Cookies
½ cup butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
½ cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

1 cup finely chopped pecans
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup mini chocolate chips
⅓ cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl combine the butter, oil, sugar and powdered sugar. Beat on medium until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix again on medium until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix on low, just until combined.

Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about a tablespoon of dough for each cookie. Flatten the cookie with a glass dipped in sugar, and then use a slightly smaller cup to make a clear indent to hold the filling.

Make the filling: in a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar, mini chips, whipping cream and vanilla. Spoon the filling into the indentation of each cookie, spreading the filling so that it fills the indentation.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light brown along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Miss in the Kitchen

No comments: