Friday, June 29, 2018

Soft Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies



It’s rare that I can make a small batch cookie recipe, but this week I wasn’t taking cookies to work, so I looked through my pinned recipes to find something that I wouldn’t normally make. I have made a lot of bar cookies lately, so I wanted something different. I saw this recipe, which only makes a dozen cookies, and I thought they would be nice to try.

This cookie recipe is fairly simple, with normal ingredients. It’s a good cookie to use up those miscellaneous bits of leftover chips that you may have in your cupboard. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips to melt for the dough, but then used milk chocolate chips. I thought about using white chocolate chips but decided to keep these to a double chocolate cookie. I think they would also be great with peanut butter chips, too.

This dough is very soft, but they bake up lovely. It is unusual that you start the oven at 325 degrees but then actually bake the cookies at 300 degrees. I think this helps the cookies stay nice and soft. These cookies are considerably larger than the cookies I regularly make. I have an ice cream scoop that is 4 tablespoons, which I typically use for cupcake or muffins. That made quick work for these cookies and was less messy. These cookies are so soft- the lower oven baking temperature really makes a difference. These cookies are picture perfect, and I think they look better with some additional chocolate chips added to the top.

Soft Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips, divided
2 and 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine 1 cup of the chocolate chips and the butter. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring frequently, until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a larger bowl. Whisk in the vanilla, sugar, and brown sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking completely after each addition. Whisk in the milk. Add the flour mixture and stir with a spatula to combine. Stir in the remaining one cup of chocolate chips. Do not over mix.

Scoop ¼ cupfuls of dough onto the baking sheet, only 6 cookies per sheet.

Place the baking sheet into the oven, and as soon as you put in the cookies, reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees. Bake for 17-19 minutes, until the cookies are set and look dry on the top. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets. If desired, press some additional chocolate chips on top of the warm cookies.

Reheat the oven to 325 and then again lower the temperature before baking the second sheet of cookies.

Recipe from Baker by Nature

No comments: