Friday, July 13, 2018

Double Stuff Oreo-Chocolate Chip Shortbread


My husband likes when I make recipes that use Oreos, as do I, as they are one of the few store-bought cookies that I really like. When I first came across this recipe, I thought that shortbread with added Oreos would be great. It wasn’t until I started to make the recipe that I realized that this shortbread only uses the crème centers, which is a little unusual. The sight of all those Oreos with no filling is a sad sight, I have to say.

I actually have made this recipe twice, as the first time I completely messed up the recipe. I was making it and thought that, it being shortbread, it contained a lot of butter. I ended up adding way too much butter, and I didn’t really catch it until the cookies were baked and they just weren’t setting up. I thought that the dough was extra sticky, but sometimes that’s the case. Let me just say that the cookies with all the extra butter weren’t good.

Remaking these, I bought the large package of Oreos, so that there would be some cookies left over! The dough came together well, and it wasn’t nearly as sticky. The crème filling from the Oreos makes a lovely marbled dough. You certainly don’t want to overmix the crème centers as you want to see the bits of filling. These are a little tricky to know when these are done; I probably should have taken them out of the oven after 18 minutes, but they looked a little soft. They are fairly crunchy, which is normal for shortbread, but I wonder if baking them 2 less minutes would have resulted in a slightly softer cookie.

Double Stuff Oreo-Chocolate Chip Shortbread
30 Oreo Double Stuff centers
¾ cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
½ cup white rice flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

Remove the crème centers from the Oreos, and place in a small bowl. Use the chocolate cookies as desired. In a large mixer bowl, on medium speed cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the vanilla and mix again on medium. Add the flour, rice flour, and cocoa powder and stir on low until the dough comes together. Add the mini chocolate chips and stir on low to incorporate. Stir in the Oreo crème centers with a spatula. Press the dough into the prepared pan.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, until set. Cool for 15 minutes and then score the cookies into bars. Lift the foil from the pan and allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack. If required, recut the cookies into bars.

Recipe from Sweet Recipeas

No comments: