Friday, August 31, 2018

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies with Caramel Glaze


I’m eagerly awaiting fall and these cookies are a step closer to fall baking. The weather had finally started to cool, and the days are shorter, so it’s much better baking weather! These last days of summer I’m off work and I have to be honest, not a lot is getting done. I wanted to bake, but hadn’t gone to the store, so I needed to find a recipe that I could make with what I had on hand. Thankfully, I have a well-stocked cupboard.

I have the basics on hand, and it’s hit or miss with what chocolate and toffee chips I have on hand. Thankfully I had a half package of toffee bits left over from another recipe. You need caramel sauce for the glaze, and I had some bourbon caramel in the refrigerator. Caramel sauce is something that we pick up at farmers markets at the like, as I can always find a use for caramel sauce!

For these cookies, to give a finer texture, you pulse the oats in the food processor. Don’t grind them completely, I ground mine with about 5 pulses of the food processor. These cookies are slightly larger than I usually make, and still this recipe made over 3 dozen cookies. They bake a little longer, about 15 minutes. I knew they would soften a little after they were glazed, so I baked them until they were fairly crisp. I didn’t quite have enough glaze for all the cookies, but they are good without the glaze, too. The bourbon caramel adds an interesting nuance of flavor, and pairs wonderfully with the oats and toffee.

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies with Caramel Glaze
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups flour
3/4 cup toffee bits

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup caramel sauce
2-3 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a food processor, add oatmeal and pulse until partly ground; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until blended. Add the eggs and mix on medium until incorporated. In a separate bowl, combine the partially ground oats, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the oat/flour mixture. Stir in the toffee bits with a spatula.

Scoop onto the prepared baking sheets, using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop.

Bake from 14-16 minutes, until set. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the glaze. In a large mixer bowl, mix the powdered sugar and caramel sauce until smooth. Add milk, as needed, to make the glaze a spreading consistency. Spread a small amount of glaze on each cookie. Allow the glaze to set before storing in an air-tight container.

Recipe from Shugary Sweets

No comments: