Friday, September 28, 2018

Chocolate Oatmeal Biscoff Cookies



It’s been another crazy week at work and while I am very tired, I was looking forward to baking this week. I decided that I have a lot of cookbooks, and I wanted to use a recipe from an actual cookbook. Dorie’s Cookies sits on my kitchen counter, and I decided to start there. I picked a recipe and then later realized that I had already made those cookies, so I had to find another recipe for which I had all of the ingredients.

This recipe contains primarily basics: oats, cocoa powder, chocolate chips. Biscoff spread is something that I have in the cupboard all of the time. In fact, I had three jars of slightly different varieties of Biscoff/cookie butter/speculoos spread. I wanted to make dairy free cookies this week, so my friend at work can enjoy them too. I looked at the Biscoff spread and it is vegan, so I used that. I used vegan butter and dairy free chocolate chips. These cookies do contain egg, so they aren’t vegan, but my friend can have eggs.

This is interesting dough. When the dough is unbaked, it’s very similar in texture to chocolate/oat no-bake cookies, which I don’t care for because I don’t like the texture. The dough firms up nicely after a couple of hours in the refrigerator. I made mine small; I’m not sure how the baking time would differ for a larger cookie. I tried flattening the cookies with a small juice glass, but they stuck so I used the palm of my hand and they turned out. Bake them for the specified time, even though the don’t look done when you take them out of the oven. These cookies are a bit crisp around the edges but still soft in the middle. The Biscoff flavor is subtle, but adds an interesting note to the cocoa and oats flavor.

Chocolate Oatmeal Biscoff Cookies
1-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
½ cup flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter (or alternative)
½ cup Biscoff spread
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
½ cup chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, Biscoff spread, sugar, brown sugar, and salt on medium until smooth, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and beat for another minute. Stop the mixer add the oat/flour mixture, a mix on low, turning the mixer on and off, until almost mixed. Add the chocolate chips and mix on low to combine. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. With the bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand, flatten the balls into a round.

Bake for about 11 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after 6 minutes of baking. The cookies will look uncooked in the center and will be barely set along the edges. Do not over bake. Allow the cookies to set on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Dorie’s Cookies by Dorie Greenspan

No comments: