Friday, October 19, 2018

Butterbeer Cookies


These cookies come from the Harry Potter books, and that’s such a fun world! As a librarian, I love anything that will get people to read, and I think that the Harry Potter series has done so much to get kids reading again. My husband and I have visited Universal Studios in Florida and California where they have a replica of the world of Harry Potter, and it’s such a fantastic world. We also visited the studios outside of London where the films were made, and that was so very cool. So yeah, I guess I am a fan.

I had the frozen butterbeer when I was visiting Universal, which was really tasty. It’s kind of a butterscotch flavor, with clear vanilla and toffee notes. The frozen butterbeer has vanilla ice cream, and I was in Florida, which was extra nice. I have seen several recipes for butterbeer cookies and this one looked nice and simple, and I figured it would be good since we are nearing Halloween.

These cookies use a butter-flavor cake mix for the base. It would be hard to replicate that flavor, so I went ahead and used the cake mix rather than starting from scratch. It’s ok to use a shortcut once in a while! These use butterscotch chips and toffee bits to recreate the butterbeer flavor, and vanilla coffee creamer for the vanilla notes. This dough is very soft, but they bake up into a nice cakey cookie. Don’t fret that they are pale when they come out of the oven. These are so tasty and I love how all the flavors come together.

Butterbeer Cookies
1 butter-flavor cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup toffee bits

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons French vanilla coffee creamer

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, water, cinnamon, butterscotch chips and toffee bits. Mix on low until the dough comes together and is shiny. The dough will be very soft. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets using a 1 tablespoon scoop.

Bake for 10-11 minutes, until set. The cookies will be soft and pale but will firm up as they cool. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the glaze. In a medium bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla and coffee creamer. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.
                                        
Recipe from Just a Pinch

No comments: