Friday, April 5, 2019

Apricot White Chocolate Cookies


I am starting to think of cookies that are better reflections of spring. I don’t frequently bake with dried apricots, and I came across this recipe and thought it would be great. Ages ago, I had a favorite Pillsbury Bake Off recipe that was a bar cookies with apricots. I should look for that recipe and make those again, as they were great.

This recipe combines apricots, white chocolate chips, and sliced almonds. The original recipe had you soak the apricots in hot water to soften them, but the apricots I had were fresh out of the package and I didn’t feel the need to soften them. I don’t reconstitute other types of dried fruit-- well, except for the dried fruits used in the Christmas cake, which are soaked on booze. 

The recipe here is a half recipe, which still makes three dozen cookies. My dough was a little dry, so I ended up adding an extra egg yolk to make sure the dough would hold together. That seemed to do the job, and the cookies baked up perfectly. I have to admit that I wasn’t super excited to make these cookies, but I really like them! The apricot chunks with sweet white chocolate and the slight crunch of the sliced almonds are perfect together. 

Apricot White Chocolate Cookies
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on medium until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the apricots, white chocolate chips, and sliced almonds.

Scoop the dough using a medium cookie scoop, using about 1-1/2 tablespoons of dough per cookie.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until cookies are set and lightly browned along the edges. Allow the cookie to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: