Friday, August 23, 2019

No-bake Rocky Road Squares



Sometimes the weather is warm here, sometimes it isn’t. This week has been a perfectly strange combination of weather, with one day it’s 82 degrees and the next it’s raining. I actually prefer the rain, but I imagine lots of folks think I am weird. I did some baking ahead of time, and these squares were one of the items I made. They are literally the easiest cookie ever, and they are a bit of a combination between a bar cookie and candy.

The reason I made these was because I had some marshmallows left over from another recipe. I didn’t have that many, and it can be hard to find a recipe that just uses a couple of cups of mini marshmallows. This recipe was great as it only called for 3 cups of marshmallows. Of course it also called for crispy rice cereal, so I bought a box of that. So now I want to use that up and most recipes call for… more marshmallows. I can’t win!

These are the easiest bars ever. They contain only 5 ingredients, and I’d be surprised if they took longer than 5 minutes to make. They don’t require baking, just a couple of minutes in the microwave to melt ingredients, so they are a good choice if your kitchen is warm. The most challenging aspect of making these cookies was getting the dough spread in the pan evenly. Damp hands work best in my opinion, but you could certainly use a spatula if you prefer. I was hesitant to bring them to work as they were so easy, but they were very popular. Sometimes easy is ok.

No-bake Rocky Road Squares
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
3 cups mini marshmallows

Line an 8-inch square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips. Microwave, stirring frequently, until melted, about 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Add the crispy rice cereal and the marshmallows and stir to combine. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. With damp hands, spread the mixture evenly in the pan. Refrigerate the bars for several hours.

Once the bars are cooled and set, lift the bars by the foil and cut into small squares.

Recipe from Just So Tasty

No comments: