Friday, January 24, 2020

Butterscotch Toffee Cookies


It’s rare that twice in a month I make cookies based on a cake/brownie mix, but in January I find it difficult to know what to bake. I don’t want super extravagant cookies, but it seems too early to focus on the flavors of spring. Right after the holiday I pinned a number of recipes that I thought would be good for the New Year and this one was included. It’s a very simple recipe and I made sure I had the butterscotch chips and toffee, but this recipe almost didn’t happen.

As I don’t use cake mixes, I was unaware that the grocery stores now carry a very small selection of mixes. I needed a butter pecan cake mix, which did not sound unusual, but was difficult to find. None of the stores that I regularly visit carried what I needed. I made my every-year-or-so pilgrimage to Walmart, as they often have prepared foods that need for baking. Again I lucked out and they had it available. I was relieved as the only other option was to buy online, and that would have been expensive.

This recipe is so easy to make. It’s just the cake mix, oil, eggs, and mix-ins. Normally when recipes call for room temperature eggs, I don’t pay much heed, but this time I took the time to do it. I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes, but the dough came together well. The dough is sticky, but they bake up fine. I used my medium cookie scoop and made about 3-1/2 dozen cookies. The cookies come out of the oven looking perfect. These cookies are quite sweet, with a lovely combination of chewy but also crunchy from the toffee bits.


Butterscotch Toffee Cookies
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 package butter pecan cake mix
10 ounces butterscotch chips
8 ounces milk chocolate English toffee bits

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the eggs and oil until blended. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the cake mix. With the mixer on low, fold in the butterscotch chips and toffee bits.

Drop by tablespoonfuls on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: