Friday, April 3, 2020

Lemon Pistachio Shortbread Cookies


I’ve been trying to make recipes with ingredients that I have on hand, since I don’t get to the store all that frequently these days. A couple of weeks ago a made a cookie with pistachios, so I still had some of those on hand. I looked for recipes that used some, but not a lot, of pistachios. I also don’t have anywhere to take cookies, so I’m looking for recipes with a small yield. These cookies fit the bill perfectly.

I did have to get a lemon, but some folks do have those on hand. You could use milk or orange juice if you don’t want to leave the house. The blog with this recipe was interesting that it had several versions of shortbread; the shortbread layer is typically the same, but then they are topped with different flavors. I think that’s a great idea, as you get variations but still have the wonderful shortbread flavor.

The original recipe had you dip the shortbread in the glaze, but I put it on top and hoped that would be ok. My cookies were already delicate, so I didn’t want to risk it more. I cut the cookies but kept them together, and let the glaze set and hoped the cookies would still be neat and tidy. These set up quite well and I was happy. They have a great lemon flavor, which pairs well with pistachios.

Lemon Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped pistachios

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt on medium until light. Add the flour and stir on low until just combined. Press the dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Score the dough into 16 wedges and prick each wedge with a fork twice. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 300 degrees.

Bake the shortbread until golden, about 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut through the scores in the shortbread to separate. Cool completely in the pan.

Once cool, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Leave the bars together, but make sure that they are cut apart. Top the shortbread with the glaze and then top with chopped pistachios. Allow the glaze to set completely before serving.

Recipe from Seasons & Suppers

No comments: