Friday, June 19, 2020

Candied Lemon Biscuits


I have to say that it is getting a bit tiring to be home all of the time, but with baking, it gives me a chance to be creative and use what I have on hand. While we do have grocery orders come once a week, it requires quite a bit of planning to make sure that I have any uncommon ingredients on hand. I try to plan, but it is hard with everything else that is happening right now.

This cookie/biscuit started its life as a Cherry Bakewell Biscuit. I have made a couple of Bakewell items, and I really love the flavors. Typically, a Bakewell Tart has pastry, topped by cherry or raspberry jam, with an almond frangipane. These biscuits called for candied cherries, but I didn’t have those on hand. I looked to see what I had, and I had candied lemon peel, and I figured that would go well with the almond extract in the recipe.

These biscuits are formed slightly differently than I’m used to, but I think that I may use this technique in the future. You make the dough and then refrigerate it for 30 minutes before shaping into logs. This made the dough less sticky and easier to shape. This made a small batch, which was nice as I don’t have anywhere to take the cookies. These cookies have a sandy, buttery quality, and the lemon is not pronounced. I worried that the lemon peel might be bitter, but it isn’t, and it adds sweetness.

Candied Lemon Biscuits
115 grams butter, room temperature
40 grams powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon almond extract
140 grams flour
100 grams candied lemon peel

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium until smooth. Add the egg yolk and almond extract and mix again until incorporated. Stop the mixer and add the flour and candied lemon peel and mix on low until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and shape into a log, about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap the log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

Remove the plastic wrap from the dough and slice into 1/3” slices and place on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until they are browned along the bottom edges. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe Adapted from Butcher, Baker, Baby

No comments: