Friday, July 24, 2020

No-Bake KitKat Squares


Some of the travel restrictions in my area have lessened a bit. I still am not to sure about being around people, so my husband and I haven’t done anything very extravagant. We work and stay at home a lot. A couple of weekends ago we did visit my parents one afternoon and had lunch. We also exchanged gifts for Easter, my parent’s 50th Wedding Anniversary, and Father’s Day. Needless to say, we were a bit behind on things!

My parents gave me some KitKats for Easter, along with some other things. One of the things they gave us were the homemade Take 5 candies that my dad made. They were so good and just perfect, and we ate those up right away. I figured that I could find a recipe using KitKats, so I went looking and found a couple of different options. This week I made these no-bake squares, as I had all of the ingredients on hand.

Ok, so I did have to replace my very stale Vanilla Wafer Cookies, but otherwise I was good. This is quick to come together and I didn’t have to turn on the oven. I chose to melt the chocolate with the sweetened condensed milk on the stove and the mixture got a touch warm, but ok. Maybe the microwave would have been easier. I made these with KitKats, but you could certainly use leftover candy as the original recipe suggests. These bars cut best when cold, and if your house it at all warm, I’d store them in the refrigerator.

No-Bake KitKat Squares
½ cup butter, melted
8 ounces vanilla wafer cookies
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups chocolate chips
4.5 ounces KitKat Bars (3 packages, or other candy)

Line an 8” square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a food processor, process the vanilla wafer cookies until they are crumbs. Transfer the crumbs to a separate bowl and add the melted butter. Mix until well combined. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set the food processor aside as you will use it for the topping.

In the microwave, or on the stove in a small saucepan, melt the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips over low heat. Stir frequently until the mixture is smooth. Spread the chocolate filling over the vanilla wafer cookie crust.

To make the topping, place the KitKat Bars in the food processor and process until crumbly. Top the bars evenly with the KitKat crumbs and press slightly to adhere. Refrigerate the bars for several hours before cutting into bars.

Recipe from A Baker’s House

No comments: