Friday, February 19, 2021

Chocolate Toffee Chip Cookies

Photo of Chocolate Toffee Chip Cookies

One of the downfalls of being at home all the time is our inability to travel. We miss our family in the UK, and we also miss trips closer to home. My husband and I travel to Canada at least once a year, sometimes visiting Victoria and other times Vancouver. We’re looking forward to when the time is right to travel again, but that certainly won’t be until we’ve received the vaccine, and we don’t know when that will be.

One of my favorite places to visit in Canada is Purdy’s Chocolate. Thankfully, they do ship to the States, but it isn’t the quickest. I get email from them and one of their emails had a recipe that was similar to a chocolate chip cookie. My husband often complains that I don’t make enough chocolate chip cookies, so I figured this recipe would be just different enough. I still have some of my favorite hedgehogs from Purdy’s, so I didn’t want to place another order. I figured I would find some sort of chocolate bar with toffee at the store.

There were many varieties at the store, and in a pinch, you could always chop up a Heath bar. I ended up using two different chocolate bars, one with toffee and one with toffee and almonds, as they only had one of the chocolate/toffee bars. I should have halved the recipe, but the given yield was 24 cookies. My recipe made a lot more than that, so if you are baking for two, you could very easily pare this recipe down. These cookies are very similar to a chocolate chip cookie, but with an extra added punch from the toffee and almonds.

Chocolate Toffee Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
6 ounces chocolate toffee bars, chopped

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and then add it to the batter. Stir in the salt.

With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour. Fold in the chopped chocolate bars with a spatula.

Drop onto the prepared baking sheets, using about 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and lightly browned along the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Purdy’s Chocolate

No comments: