Friday, August 13, 2021

Raspberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze

Raspberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze

I was looking online for cookies to make, something with fruit as it is the heart of summer! I kept identifying recipes, but then I would check my blog and I’d realized that I had already made the recipe. Sometimes it’s been a few years, but I try to always try new recipes. This is surprisingly not as hard as it may seem. I finally whittled it down to two recipes, both using raspberries, and my husband chose this one.

I don’t often bake with strawberries and raspberries as fruit contains so much liquid, which often does poorly in baking. This recipe uses frozen raspberries, which I thought would fare better. Since my house is fairly warm, I took extra care to make sure the berries remained frozen. I measured what I needed, chopped them up, and then put them back in the freezer. I made the dough and only folded them into the batter once the oven was ready to go. It’s amazing how quickly the raspberries thaw, so be careful.

I had fears that these cookies would just melt in the oven and that there would be a big raspberry mess on my baking sheets. That didn’t happen at all, and the cookies baked up with no issues. They don’t change their shape all that much, which also means that they also don’t spread. You are supposed to use lemon juice and zest in the dough and juice in the glaze, but I kept it simple and only used zest in the dough. It’s hard to get the frozen raspberries perfectly distributed between the cookies, so some have more berries than other. I certainly like the ones with more berries, and don’t skip the lemon glaze as that adds a perfect zing!

Raspberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold butter, cut in pieces
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup frozen raspberries, chopped

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large food processor, whirl the flour, sugar, and baking powder to combine. Add the pieces of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the heavy cream and lemon zest and pulse to incorporate. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in the frozen raspberries.

Scoop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, using a medium scoop.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and slightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack.

Once cool, make the glaze: in a medium bowl whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the cooking in a crosshatch pattern.

Recipe from I Heart Naptime

No comments: