Friday, October 22, 2021

Maple Cinnamon Cookies

Photo of Maple Cinnamon Cookies

I have to say that I get so overwhelmed with ideas for fall baking. What should I make? There are so many flavors that I love, but I also want to find something interesting and different. I have a couple of recipes marked and ready to go, but none of them seemed to be what I wanted to make. I did some searching and came across these maple cookies. I have done a few maple items, and really you can’t get a better fall flavor than maple.

These cookies use a different method than I am used to, but I discovered when I was writing up the recipe that it had even more differences that I didn’t follow! I make so many cookies that sometimes when I am baking, I go on autopilot. This recipe has you mix the ingredients in a different way, mixing the flour into the dough right away. It also had you cut the butter into the mixture like you would with pastry, but I missed that and just softened the butter and added it in. Oops.

Thankfully, not following the original directions with the butter turned out fine, and the cookies were lovely. One of the things that drew me to this recipe was that you brush the cookies with maple syrup before baking, and that gives the cookies a nice sheen and finish. With the different mixing method, the cookies are textured similar to a scone, denser than a traditional cookie. They are not overly sweet, which can be a challenge with maple syrup, and go perfectly with a cup of tea.

Maple Cinnamon Cookies  
2 cups flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup maple syrup divided
1 egg
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
Cinnamon sugar, for topping

In a large mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, butter, and salt. Beat on medium until the dough starts to come together. Add ¼ cup maple syrup, egg, and maple flavoring and stir on medium until combined. The dough will be sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls. Roll the balls in cinnamon sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies with the tines of a fork and then brush the cookies with the remaining maple syrup.

Bake for 13-17 minutes, until golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The Gracious Wife

No comments: