Friday, January 28, 2022

Chai Spice Biscotti

Three Chai Biscotti on a white plate

The library where I work is open, despite the fact that classes are online. It has been very quiet, but I do enjoy working with the students who do come into the library. For staffing, a handful of folks come in each day, but it can be hard to track. We have a calendar that provides who will be on campus each day. While it is not perfect, I find it to be so helpful. When baking for work, I vary what I make depending on who is there, avoiding gluten, dairy, or chocolate as needed. This time, I was looking for dairy-free ideas.

Dairy free is not too hard, as I can at least use eggs. I have vegan butter and that works in many instances. I had marked this recipe for biscotti some time ago but took a closer look at the required ingredients and it contains no butter AT ALL! While that is unusual, it does happen with biscotti. It originally called for cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, star anise, and white pepper, but I figured I could adjust. I used regular pepper, used nutmeg instead of star anise, and left out the cardamom. I have bad memories of baking with cardamom, so I avoid it!

This biscotti recipe makes about two dozen, which is a nice petite amount. I am never great at shaping the dough into the perfect size, but it is not critical, as long as the dough is the same thickness throughout. I bake my biscotti for slightly less time than the original recipe, so the cookies are not as hard. They are still crunchy, so no worries there! Given that these biscotti have no added butter or shortening, the texture did not change from other biscotti recipes. These biscotti have a good spiciness, no matter which spices you use, and the glaze adds a hint of sweetness.

Chai Spice Biscotti

2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons strongly brewed chai tea

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, pepper, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and egg yolks and mix on medium until combined. Add the vanilla and mix to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. When mixed, the dough may look dry.

Divide the dough in halves and shape each half into a loaf about 9” x 3” and about ½ inch thick.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool for 10 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Slice the loaves into biscotti slices, between ½” and ¾” thick. Place back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before glazing.

In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar and enough chai tea to make a smooth glaze. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled biscotti and allow the glaze to set before serving.

Recipe from Tastes Lovely

No comments: