Friday, January 14, 2022

Malteser Biscuits

Malteser Biscuits

I have a couple of recipes planned for this month. One of the recipes that I am planning to make had a couple of ingredients that I still need to purchase, so I looked at the alternatives. We had recently visited our local British shop and had picked up a couple of items that I would use for baking. One of the potential recipes used the Maltesers that I had picked up and I had all of the other ingredients, so that was my choice for this week.

This is an Australian recipe, which is an interesting combination of weight measurements and volumetric measurements and also used self-rising flour. Since this used a combination of plain and self-rising flour, I just translated it to plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. The original recipe called for 250 grams of butter, which is more than two sticks of butter. Two sticks seemed like a lot, so I used one cup and the recipe turned out fine.

If you are unfamiliar with Maltesers, they are chocolate covered malt balls, similar to Whoppers sold in the states. Since the Maltesers are round, they are very hard to chop! Instead, I crushed them with the side of my chef’s knife and that was very easy. The addition of sweetened condensed milk is unusual, but the cookies aren’t too sweet, which is typical of recipes from the UK and Australia. I really like these cookies, crunchy but not too sweet, perfect with a cup of tea.

Malteser Biscuits
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
165 grams Maltesers, chopped

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and beat again on medium to incorporate. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the crushed Maltesers with a spatula.

Shape the dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. With the tines of a fork, press the biscuits down slightly, also making a decorative pattern.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until lightly golden. If baking more than one sheet of cookies at a time, rotate the baking sheets half-way through the bake. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Taste.com (Australia)

No comments: