Friday, April 1, 2022

Blueberry Oat Cookies

Oat Cookie with freeze-dried blueberries, on a blue background

When I bake and I know that I won’t be taking the cookies to work or elsewhere, I try to make a smaller batch. I came across these cookies, and it looked like a half recipe (shown here) would be perfect. I had all of the ingredients, and I was sure that I had some blueberries in the freezer. My husband looked at the recipe and suggested that I try using freeze-dried blueberries, so there was no risk of the fruit going strange or my cookies turning purple. I went to the store and was able to find freeze-dried blueberries, so I wanted to give that a try.

In reading the comments for this recipe, it suggested using the full amount of cinnamon, as the original recipe gave a range. I did use the full amount, and cinnamon is one of the fantastic flavors of these cookies! Normally, in making half a recipe, I would use half an egg, which for me is simply using the egg yolk. If you do use freeze-dried blueberries, I would go ahead and use the entire egg, as the freeze-dried blueberries don’t contain any moisture and the egg can provide that. Of course, you could always use fresh or frozen blueberries, and could get away with just a yolk.

I baked two baking sheets worth of cookies. I noticed that the first batch didn’t flatten or change shape all that much, so the second batch I flattened the cookies slightly and I think they looked better. I liked using the freeze-dried blueberries, as they had great flavor, but I wasn’t worried about the fruit going off. I would not necessarily think of blueberries combined with cinnamon, but the cinnamon makes all the difference in these cookies!

Blueberry Oat Cookies

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cups oats
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup freeze-dried blueberries

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Stir in the egg and vanilla. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the oats, flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2 balls and place on the prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly. I placed about 8 cookies per baking sheet.

Bake for about 12 minutes, until golden and set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for five minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Elaine Gelina, via Taste of Home

No comments: