Friday, May 6, 2022

Cinnamon Crisps

Round Cookies Covered with Cinnamon Sugar, on a teal plate

One of the first things I ever posted on this blog was a trick that I had learned when I was a kid: when you have leftover pastry, you cut it in pieces, top with cinnamon sugar, and bake it. They aren’t fancy and don’t really have a recipe, it’s just a tasty way to use up leftovers. When I came across this recipe for a cookie version of cinnamon sugar pastry, I was excited to give it a try.

I don’t roll out cookies all that much, but I was curious how these would turn out, so I didn’t let that stop me. The ingredients here are for half a batch, so I knew it wouldn’t take too long to roll out the cookies. I made 18 cookies, which was perfect. I used the full amount of the egg/milk mixture as it wasn’t worth it to change the ratio. You will have egg mixture left over, but it’s just one egg. I suppose you could also simply brush them with milk, but I didn’t try that.

As these cookies are covered in cinnamon sugar, it is difficult to tell when they are done. I typically start with a minute or two less than the minimum time, so that I can judge how my oven is doing. When I first looked at the cookies, they looked ok, but were so soft that I was pretty sure they weren’t baked enough. I added a few minutes, and they were good. My cinnamon sugar mixture had a lot of cinnamon, and pairing that with a cookie that isn’t as sweet makes these a lovely afternoon treat.

Cinnamon Crisps
½ cup butter, softened
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
Cinnamon sugar

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until the dough comes together.

Divide the dough in halves and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least an hour.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough until it is ¼” thick. Cut the dough into shapes or squares and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Before baking, top the cookies: in a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Using a pastry brush, coat the cookies with the egg mixture, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are set. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Baking and Mistaking

No comments: