Friday, May 20, 2022

Cracked Brown Sugar Cookies

Cracked brown sugar cookies, photographed on a wire cooling rack

I came across this recipe and thought it looked so good. The post with the recipe talked about how tasty the cookies are and how they get devoured in her house. That’s hard to pass up, so I wanted to make these fairly soon. I was a little puzzled that the original recipe said that it made five dozen cookies, with only two cups of flour, but I make cookies the size I want, and it makes what it makes! In the end, this recipe made a little over three dozen cookies.

This recipe very specifically calls for dark brown sugar. I see that in recipes all the time, and I usually only have light brown sugar on hand. As the brown sugar was the main flavoring of these cookies, I wanted to use what the recipe called for. I could have bought dark brown sugar, but I looked online and found information that said I could use light brown sugar and some additional molasses to equate to dark brown sugar. That worked for me! (I used half a tablespoon of molasses for ½ cup of light brown sugar.)

This recipe has you make and shape the cookies, but then chill them in the refrigerator. I imagine that you could skip this step, but I think the cookies baked up better since they were cold. These cookies are extremely thin, but that makes them so crunchy. And buttery, and just wonderful. These are so good, and my kitchen has that faint molasses smell that makes me think of the holidays. These cookies are hard to beat, and I can’t wait to make them again!

Cracked Brown Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Additional sugar

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and dark brown sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to incorporate. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until the dough comes together.

Shape the dough by tablespoons and roll in additional sugar. Place the prepared cookies on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are crackly. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Foodie Chicks Rule

No comments: