Friday, July 22, 2022

Irish Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookie with Irish Cream liqueur in the dough, photographed on a wire cooling rack

This recipe is inspired by two events in my life. The first is that my husband complains that I never make chocolate chip cookies, which are his favorite. His birthday is soon, so this is a way to make a chocolate chip cookie, but also an interesting variation. The second is that my mom came across this recipe on social media and asked if I had made it. It was a site that aggregated the aggregators, so I found the original on Baker by Nature. I like to use a better-known source if possible.

These cookies are fairly traditional, but there are a few differences. They use Irish Cream liqueur and espresso powder, which is the largest difference. They also contain cinnamon. I wasn’t sure about that, but as I had nothing to compare it to, I simply followed the recipe. I get really upset when folks tell a blogger that their recipe didn’t turn out, but also that they omitted this and that, used substitutes, and used half the quantity of something else.

This recipe makes big cookies, but since I was making them around birthday time, I figured that was good. I often halve recipes but I didn’t in this case. You need to make the dough in advance, and the minimum chilling time is two hours. Overnight was easier for me, as I made the dough one day and baked it the next. The Irish Cream liqueur and the cinnamon in the dough smell fantastic. I baked them up, about 11 minutes a batch, so they were still a little soft in the middle. They are a little darker than your traditional chocolate chip cookie, but the flavor is wonderful- a traditional chocolate chip with the subtle flavor of Irish Cream.

Irish Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

2-1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons Irish Cream liqueur
2 eggs
12 ounces chocolate chips

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and espresso powder; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the vanilla and espresso powder and mix again on medium to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until the flour is almost incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking pans with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into rounds, using 2-3 tablespoons per cookie. Place no more than 6 cookies per sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Baker by Nature

No comments: