Friday, August 26, 2022

Espresso Toffee Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookie, made with Espresso Chocolate Chips, toffee chips, and pecans. Photographed on a plate with pink and purple zigzags

A couple of years ago, I came across a recipe that called for coffee/espresso chocolate chips. I was sure that I had seen them, but after looking at many stores, I couldn’t locate them again. Perhaps they were only available for a short time, or during the holidays. I forgot about it until about a month ago when my husband and I found espresso chocolate chips. We bought them as I knew I could find a great cookie recipe that used these chips.

I went looking for recipes, and my husband had requested something other than a chocolate cookie. That was reasonable. I knew the chips would have coffee flavor, so I looked for recipes that included coffee in some form. I found this recipe, which espresso powder, and knew it would work. They also contain toffee bits, which I like a lot. I used the toffee bits with chocolate, as that’s all the store carried, but feel free to use the variety that is available to you.

I decided to take these cookies to work, but I couldn’t make them dairy free (toffee contains dairy) and I used regular flour. It’s pretty quiet at work so it’s ok. I didn’t stray from the recipe at all, except in using the toffee that was available to me and using pecans. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies, but I did use my larger cookie scoop, so you get a good bite of cookie! These cookies come out of the oven puffy, but then set wonderfully. The coffee flavor is pronounced, with the espresso powder and espresso chips, and even those who don’t drink coffee love these cookies. Just the smell of the coffee is wonderful, so how could you not?

Espresso Toffee Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup espresso chocolate chips
1 cup toffee/brickle chips
½ cup chopped pecans

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, and espresso powder. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stopping to scrape the sides of the mixer bowl occasionally. Fold in the espresso chips, toffee chips, and chopped pecans.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using a medium-sized scoop.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until cookies are baked through. They are puffy when they come out of the oven but set as they cool. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Kitchen Fun with my Three Sons

No comments: