Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Candied Fruit Cookies

Two spiced cookies flavored with currants and candied peel, photographed on a white plate with a small green tree with a gold star.

Christmas Cookie #4! For those who read this blog regularly, it shouldn’t be a surprise that I like fruitcake. I often make some cookies that have fruitcake ingredients, and I now make a fruitcake bar cookie instead of a large Christmas cake, as it is a lot easier, and you don’t have the crazy-sweet icing to contend with. I saw these fruitcake cookies and liked them, but they used the red and green (American) candied fruit that you can find this time of year. I don’t like that, but I knew I could substitute something I did like.

This recipe called for 1 cup of the red/green candied fruit, but we rarely use candied fruit at all, instead use raisins, currants, dates, dried cherries, and that sort of thing. I did have some mixed candied peel from Marks and Spencer, so I used half a cup. I love currents and added those as well, to make 1 cup. The nuts were original to the recipe, and I do think they add a nice crunch.

I had thought about making a half a batch, and that would have been a good idea as this made about four dozen cookies. I’m not sure if it is due to the use of vegetable shortening, but these cookies are the most perfect looking treats that I have ever made! I love the flavors of the season: cinnamon, nutmeg, and the currants and candied peel add just enough sweetness. They aren’t over-the-top sweet and I prefer that. Use whatever dried/candied fruits you like, but don’t miss out on these!

Candied Fruit Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup candied mixed peel
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the four, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and all spice; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, combine the vegetable shortening, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, about ½ cup at a time, until almost completely incorporated. Add the mixed peel, currants, and pecans and mix with a spatula until the dough comes together.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, making about a 1 ½-inch ball.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until very lightly browned. The cookies will bake a little more as they cool, so do not over bake. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Simply Whisked

No comments: