Friday, April 7, 2023

Oatmeal Cookies with Goji Berries and Chocolate Chips

Oatmeal Cookie with added dried goji berries and chocolate chips, photographed on a black plate

We often buy different nuts and dried fruits online, as there are a couple of items that I can’t get at local stores. I like to buy sliced almonds that don’t have skin, which are not available here. Trader Joe’s has a version that works if needed, but I order them online and try to keep stock on hand. Since my husband usually makes those purchases, there are sometimes extra items added to our order.

In our most recent order, one of the impulse items was dried goji berries. They are quite popular right now, and they are similar to raisins or dried cranberries. You could substitute with those items if dried goji berries aren’t available, but they do taste different. I don’t think that the goji berries are as sweet as raisins, but I can certainly see how they are similar to dried cranberries.

I made this cookie, which was originally vegan, although I have a couple of other goji berry recipes that I want to try. I didn’t make these vegan, but a vegan recipe wouldn’t not be difficult to make. I’ve never made a vegan “egg” with flax seeds, but many folks are familiar with doing that. This recipe is quite classic, an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, but with added goji berries. I think these have great flavor, but you do taste the chocolate chips more than anything. I think trying these with just goji berries would be outstanding.

Oatmeal Cookies with Goji Berries and Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried goji berries
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar and beat on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Once the dough comes together, stir in the goji berries and chocolate chips with a spatula.

Drop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, forming mounds about 1-1/2” in diameter. Flatten the dough slightly with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and lightly browned along the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Vegan Fling

No comments: