Friday, April 21, 2023

Slice and Bake Golden Raisin Cookies

Slice and bake cookies with golden raisins: a stack of four cookies with a full cookie leaning against the stack. Photographed on a grey mat.

I know that coming up I may not have much time for baking so I have been trying to prepare and get some baking done in advance. I do like making refrigerator cookies, as the dough comes together quickly and then I can work with the cookies the next day. I saw these and I love all sorts of raisins, including golden raisins. I looked through my supply and I noticed I was out, so I got some fresh golden raisins for these cookies.

The dough for these cookies comes together in about 5 minutes, and they weren’t too difficult to shape. My biggest worry with slice and bake or refrigerator cookies is that they won’t be round and that they’ll look funny. Thankfully, once the cookies are cut into slices, they are very forgiving and you can reshape them into a round if needed. I had forgotten to coat the dough with sparkling sugar, but that was no problem.

I tend to slice refrigerator cookies a little thicker, probably slightly more than ¼” thick. I like a more substantial cookies, but if you prefer a thinner, crisper cookies then you can slice them smaller. The cookies don’t brown much at all, so you have to sense when the cookies are set, which in my case was about 12 minutes. These cookies are not overly sweet, which is nice, as the natural sweetness of the raisins comes through.

Slice and Bake Golden Raisin Cookies

½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ⅔ cups flour
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 cup golden raisins
Sparkling sugar, optional

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour and salt. Fold in the golden raisins.

Shape the dough into a log about 12 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter. If desired, roll the log in sparkling sugar and then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and discard the plastic wrap. Slice the dough into 1/4” slices and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden around the edges. The cookies will not brown significantly. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The Monday Box

1 comment:

Neel Shah said...


Thank you for providing such helpful information. It's exactly what I needed to know.

If anyone is looking for the best cookies in Mumbai, then Sweetish House Mafia is one of the top options to order cookies online. Their delicious treats are sure to satisfy your cravings!