Friday, May 19, 2023

Soft Honey Cookies

Honey Cookies drizzled with a simple honey glaze, photographed on an oblong blue plate

I came across this simple honey cookie recipe and I was very interested. I like honey and have a number of different varieties on hand. Honey can be difficult to use in baking, as you have to be careful to make sure that it doesn’t burn. This recipe didn’t call for a lot of honey, so I hoped that would help. The big question is which of the honeys that I have on hand should I use? I had buckwheat honey, which would have good flavor, but my jar was nearly empty, so that wasn’t going to work.

For my birthday last year, my niece gave me some tea and honey. I decided that this honey would be nice to use for these cookies, so I didn’t have to mix and match different types of honey. The honey came in a wax-sealed jar, so I had to figure out how to open it. It opened with little problem, and the honey has a nice flavor. One note about honey: as careful as I was, the honey gets everywhere and it’s so sticky.

These cookies came together with no problem. I baked the cookies, and they were perfectly round, but they looked a little plain and didn’t have a distinct flavor. My husband suggested that I add a honey glaze, so I whipped up a simple glaze of powdered sugar, milk, and honey to drizzle over the cookies. That enhanced the honey flavor so that was a good addition. These cookies are easy to make and with the glaze, they are really tasty!

Soft Honey Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
⅓ cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
3½ cups flour
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons honey

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until light. Stir in the eggs, honey, and vanilla. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until the dough comes together.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using about a tablespoon per cookie.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies begin to brown along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool before adding the glaze.

Make the glaze: in a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until the glaze is the desired consistency. Add the honey and whisk again to incorporate. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies.

Recipe from The Semisweet Sisters

No comments: