Friday, August 25, 2023

Cinnamon Divinity Cookies

A stack of cinnamon divinity cookies: a cookie flavored with cinnamon chips coated in sugar, flattened with a fork in a cross pattern

When I have time, I look through Pinterest to find new recipes to try. I do have many recipes pinned, but then I start thinking about an upcoming season, or some other sort of theme and I end up finding more recipes that I want to try. I suppose it is good to have a wide variety of recipes on hand, as I never know what I’ll be in the mood to bake, or if I will need to find a recipe that calls for ingredients I have on hand. I love pretty much anything with cinnamon, so these grabbed my attention immediately.

I’ll be honest, I am a little confused with how these cookies got their name. There really isn’t anything “divinity” about them. Divinity can be very fussy, and I recall it uses a lot of egg whites. While I can make fudge successfully, divinity is a lot harder. You don’t make sugar syrup for these cookies, and it only uses a single egg. So…I don’t know. The original blogger said she couldn’t have nuts, so she used cinnamon chips instead, and that’s what grabbed me.

For these cookies, you chop the cinnamon chips, which I hadn’t done before. I used my mini food processor, and it worked really well. I was glad I processed half of the chips at a time, as the first chips were almost ground to a powder, but I left the second half in larger pieces. The cookies looked great, and I flattened them with a fork- lust like you would with peanut butter cookies. These cookies spread a little more than I expected, but nothing that 30 minutes in the refrigerator couldn’t handle. I love these cookies with cinnamon chips- no matter how chopped/pulverized they are! These are quick to make and taste divine!

Cinnamon Divinity Cookies
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cinnamon chips, chopped
Additional sugar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the vegetable shortening and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to incorporate. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the chopped cinnamon chips.

Using a cookie scoop, form about 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball. Roll the dough balls in sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets. Using a fork, press down each cookie in a crisscross pattern.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until the cookies are set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from The Monday Box

No comments: