Friday, November 17, 2023

Brown Sugar Biscoff Bars

Three Brown Sugar Biscoff Bars, a bottom crust topped with a brown sugar/Biscoff topping. Photographed on a white patterned plate

It’s almost time for holiday baking, but there are still a couple of weeks before I fully change to making festive treats. I will be doings things a it differently this year, but I will say more about that later. There is still this and next Friday where I will post non-holiday cookies. I will be honest though, I look at a lot of cookies that are called holiday cookies and I don’t think they seem festive. I guess if you only bake once per year, then anything you bake is festive?

These are quick and simple bars, but the flavors make up for their simplicity! I like using Biscoff or Cookie Butter Spread in cookies, and I have made a couple of different recipes. This recipe felt like something I had made before, but I hadn’t, so I was excited to try these. The biggest delay in making these cookies is waiting for the crust to cool a bit before adding the topping, but I guess I can wait 30 minutes.

These bars have a very simple base, which is par-baked and then topped with filling. I didn’t stress about getting the base super smooth and even, since no one will see that in the end. The filling is primarily egg and brown sugar, with a small amount of Biscoff for flavor. When I cut these, they were just about the stickiest thing ever, and the filling reminds me of a pecan pie. Yum! They do become less sticky over time, but these bars honestly didn’t last very long since they are so tasty!

Brown Sugar Biscoff Bars
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

3 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Biscoff/cookie butter spread
1/2 cup flour

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8” pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, flour, and salt on medium until combined. Press into the base of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow the base to cool for 30 minutes.

Once the base has cooled, using the same mixing bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, Biscoff spread, and flour on medium until smooth. Pour the mixture over the cookie base.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until the middle is set. Allow to cool before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.

Recipe from Handle the Heat

No comments: