Friday, November 3, 2023

Browned Butter, Cranberry, and Oat Cookies with Cream Cheese Chips

Cookies with browned butter, cranberries, oats, and cream cheese chips, photographed on a pink zig-zag plate

I recently got a large supply of baking chips and a few other ingredients, so I knew it was time to clean out the chips I had and discard anything that was too old. Many chips needed to go, and some others I couldn’t tell what the date was. Why put some abstract code on the chips that you can’t interpret? It is so annoying! In my treasures, I was reminded that I had cream cheese chips, which came out last year. I vowed to use them in a recipe!

The only recipe I could find easily for cream cheese chips is the recipe on the package. I’m sure they are good but not super interesting. I went looking for cookies with white chocolate chips, and then determined if the flavors would pair with cream cheese. I found two recipes, and I started with this one. I suppose cranberries are edging towards the holidays, but we are getting there anyway!

At first, I wasn’t going to brown the butter, but I did. I browned 3/4 of the butter and then melted the remaining cold butter into the browned butter. This caused the mixture to bubble up and spill all over everything, so next time I will just brown all of the butter. Otherwise, these cookies are easy to make. Of course, you could use white chips if that is what’s available. I think the combination of flavors in this cookie is incredible and I got many compliments when I took them to work. Sadly, all of the cookies I left at home are already gone, so I guess I need to make them again!

Browned Butter, Cranberry, and Oat Cookies with Cream Cheese Chips

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 cup oats
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup cream cheese chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small saucepan, cut the butter into pieces and place them in the pan. Heat on medium low, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter melts and begins to brown. Remove the butter from the heat, transfer to a different bowl, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the cooled butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix on medium to combine. Add the egg and egg yolk and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. When the mixture is almost cohesive, fold in the cream cheese chips and dried cranberries.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2 tablespoon balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the dough balls slightly with the palm of your hand.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow the cookies to cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Serena Bakes

No comments: