Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Chocolate Pecan “Fantasy” Fudge

Three pieces of classic chocolate pecan fudge, photographed on a blonde wood mat.

This is the original fudge that my Dad first started making years ago. I knew that this year when I started making fudge, this was one recipe that I was certainly going to make. Let’s be honest, I will likely ALWAYS make this recipe, and that’s ok because it is a wonderful classic. There are many versions of this recipe out there, but I chose to make this one from I am Baker. I think Dad used a slightly different recipe, but this is close to the many recipes he had.

There are some variations even within this one recipe! The first question is the size of pan, and I opted to make a thicker fudge in a 9” square pan. You can also make this in a 9” x 13” pan, but I think that would be really skinny fudge, and that doesn’t feel right! You can use walnuts or other nuts, and I always use pecans. This recipe called for mini marshmallows, or marshmallow fluff, and I used fluff. There is a long dialog on the Internet about marshmallow fluff vs. marshmallow crème, and I used marshmallow fluff, in the straight sided container from Fred Meyer.

Of the fudge recipes I have made, this one is slightly more involved in that you need to use a candy thermometer. I purchased a nice thermometer last year and it makes everything so easy. I was worried about the temperature coming from the pan base, right on the flame, but this one sits off of the pan and I love that. While more complex, this is still quite simple, and the biggest challenge is lots of stirring to get everything together. This fudge is really great, but it’s not Dad’s fudge and I sure miss him!

Chocolate Pecan “Fantasy” Fudge
¾ cups butter
3 cups granulated sugar
⅔ cup evaporated milk
2 cups chocolate chips
7-ounce jar of marshmallow fluff
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line a 9" square or 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large saucepan, mix the butter, sugar, and evaporated milk. Heat on medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue heating until the mixture registered 234 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Add the marshmallow fluff, pecans, and vanilla and stir until combined. Spread the fudge evenly into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until set.

Lift the fudge from the pan by the foil and then cut into squares.

Recipe from I Am Baker

No comments: