Monday, December 4, 2023

Irish Cream Fudge

I piece of Chocolate Irish Cream Fudge, topped with Andes mint chips. Photographed on a white plate with a small Christmas tree.

This holiday season is a little bit different, and that is true in many different ways. I got my love of baking from my father, but in the last few years he turned to making fudge and molded chocolates. My father passed away earlier in the fall, and with him went all of the wonderful items he created. Like father like daughter, I suppose, and I have now been deemed the family fudge maker. I am just starting with fudge at this point.

I have chosen six different fudge recipes to make, a combination of recipes that he made and some that are new. I am sure that Dad made some sort of fudge that was minty, and likely something with Irish Cream Liqueur. This is a new recipe and not one that he had made, at least as far as I know. I am pretty much a fudge novice, so this was a perfect recipe to start with. This is one of the easiest recipes I have ever made, and the results were fantastic.

This recipe entails melting chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk in the microwave, then adding the other ingredients and refrigerating the fudge until it sets. While not all recipes are so simple, fudge seems to be friendly to make. This fudge is so smooth that I almost couldn’t believe it. The mint flavor is there, but it isn’t super strong. The Andes chips do tend to fall off the fudge pieces, but that’s a small concern. I miss you Dad, but I am happy to carry on his tradition.

Irish Cream Fudge
3 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup Baileys/Irish Cream Liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Andes baking chips

Line an 8” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Microwave for one minute. Stir the mixture and then microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Add the Irish Cream Liqueur and vanilla and stir until smooth.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and top with Andes baking chips, pressing down slightly. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate for at least four hours.

Recipe from Simple Joy

No comments: