Monday, December 18, 2023

Peppermint Bark Fudge

Three pieces of Peppermint Bark Fudge: a dark chocolate bottom layer topped with a white peppermint layer. Photographed on a red plate.

I came across this fudge recipe and I thought it sounded great. I had made another fudge flavored with mint, but that was Irish Cream fudge, and this peppermint bark fudge seemed a lot different. It is a two-toned fudge, but reading through the recipe it seemed quite straightforward, so I figured I would give it a try.

You divide a can of sweetened condensed milk in two and make a dark chocolate layer and a white/peppermint layer. Dividing the condensed milk into equal halves isn’t the easiest, even with my handy kitchen scale. I almost divided it evenly but used the (slightly) smaller quantity for the white/peppermint topping. The dark chocolate layer came together easily, although it was difficult to spread evenly in the 8” pan. It felt like I needed more of the chocolate layer.

Working with white chocolate chips is always an adventure, and that was true in this case! You don’t want the chocolate to get too hot and seize, but you also want the white chips to melt completely. I did a lot of microwaving, waiting, stirring, and more microwaving, until I was satisfied. I never microwaved the white chocolate mixture for more than 20 seconds, but it still seemed to take a while. I think I will double this recipe in the future and make it in a slightly larger pan. The fudge is great, but a little thinner than I would prefer.

Peppermint Bark Fudge
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
¼ cup crushed peppermints
Additional crushed peppermints

Line an 8” square pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick spray.

Divide the sweetened condensed milk equally between two microwaveable bowls. Add the dark chocolate chips to one and the white chips to the other.

Microwave the bowl with dark chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring frequently, the chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the vanilla and spread evenly in the prepared pan.

Microwave the bowl with white chips in 15-20 second intervals, allowing the mixture to rest and stirring after resting. Stir in the peppermint extract and ¼ cup crushed peppermint. Spread evenly over the chocolate layer. Sprinkle with additional crushed peppermints.

Refrigerate until firm. Lift the fudge from the pan by the foil and then cut into squares.

Recipe from Sugar Spun Run

No comments: