Friday, January 26, 2024

Smores Cookies

Smores Cookies a flour and graham crack crumb cookie with milk chocolate chips and marshmallow bits. All topped with a piece of a Hershey bar.

I often go through a bunch of recipes and identify needed ingredients for the things that I want to bake. While I don’t necessarily plan to make these recipes right away, I want to stock up so that I have options when deciding what to bake. Most ingredients are easy to find, and I can pick them up right away. I have found that other ingredients are seasonal, or otherwise hard to find. I stop looking actively for the item because that is usually when I find it. That was the case for the marshmallow bits used in this recipe.

I am fairly sure that I have used marshmallow bits before. These aren’t mini marshmallows; they are even smaller and are similar to the marshmallow bits you find in breakfast cereal. I could find them online, but you have to buy a large quantity. When I figured I would get them if I saw them, they started to become more common place. I suppose it was hot cocoa time of year, so that makes sense.

These smores cookies are very much chocolate chip cookies (which my husband loves) with a few additional ingredients. It uses graham cracker flour, which I keep on hand, and I topped the cookies with bits of Hershey bars that I had on hand. You could also top them with marshmallows or pieces of graham cracker, but I didn’t think it needed it. Although the dough was a touch crumbly, the cookies came together and were just excellent! They taste like smores but aren’t quite as messy as the original.

Smores Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
1¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2½ cups flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs,
1½ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup mini Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Bits
Pieces of chocolate bar

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. With a spatula, stir in the milk chocolate chips, mini chips, and marshmallow bits.

Scoop the cookies onto the baking sheet, using about 1-1/4 tablespoons dough for each cookie. Garnish the top of each cookie with a piece of a chocolate bar. (You can also garnish with pieces of graham crackers or marshmallow bits, but I did not.)

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden around the edges. The cookies might look slightly under cooked, but will set as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from Bakerita

No comments: