Friday, May 31, 2024

Cookie Dough Brownie Cookies

A chocolate cookie, topped with a cookie dough ball, covered in chocolate. Photographed on a gold plate.

In the spring, I have a fair number of birthdays and celebrations that I help celebrate, and I always want to find just the right thing to make. I will say that this year has been fairly challenging, and even if I think of the right recipe to make it may or may not happen on the expected timeline. That’s ok, as I bake because I want to and because I enjoy it, not for other reasons. Hopefully time works out well, but sometimes it doesn’t.

For one friend, cookie dough recipes are a good choice. I picked a few different recipes that were different than what I had made before and let her choose her favorite. She picked what would have been my first choice and I love when that happens. The basis of this recipe is a brownie mix, and it’s nice to use that type of convenience every once in a while. Due to the unbaked cookie dough, this recipe is every so slightly different, but it is quite minimal.

I will say that this is the first recipe that has you cook the (potential) bacteria out of the flour. This may be cautious, but takes little time. Other than that, you make the dough balls, bake the cookies, then put everything together. I think the brownie-based cookie was a little crumbly, but I think I needed to mix it a little better. When these cookies are said and done, they are a substantial cookie! They are large any way you look at them, but oh so good! They are very chocolatey, but would you want it any other way?

Cookie Dough Brownie Cookies

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

18-ounce box fudge brownie mix
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 egg
Semi-sweet melting chocolate

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the flour on a baking pan and bake for 5 minutes, killing any existing bacteria. Allow the flour to come to room temperature before using in the recipe.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on medium until creamy. Stir in the milk and vanilla, stirring to incorporate. Stir in the cooled flour and mini chocolate chips. Shape the dough into 24 balls and freeze for 30 minutes.

Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a separate mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, melted butter, cream cheese, and egg, making a thick, sticky dough. Shape the dough into 24 cookies, smoothing the edges to make a round cookie.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until set. Once the cookies come out of the oven, immediately press a frozen dough ball into the center of each cookie. Allow the cookies to cool completely before proceeding.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in the top of a double boiler. Top each cookie with about ½ tablespoon of melted chocolate, covering the cookie dough. Allow the cookies to set before serving.

Recipe from Tastes of Lizzy T

No comments: