Friday, June 14, 2024

Nutter Butter Bars

Two Nutter Butter Bars: gooey bar cookies flavored with chopped Nutter Butter cookies and topped with additional chopped Nutter Butters, photographed on a white plate with a blue swirly edge

I did a lot of baking recently for a retirement party, but I still wanted to make cookies to share with folks at work. It’s been really strange baking for work, as we have a big mix of people on campus and off, and all sorts of activities happening as well. I wanted to make something that was popular with lots of folks, and I know that peanut butter is typically a winner.

This bar cookie calls for chopped Nutter Butter bars, both in the dough and sprinkled on top of the bars. I had all of the ingredients except the Nutter Butter cookies, but I knew I’d be stopping next to a grocery store. The grocery store had chocolate covered Nutter Butter cookies and Nutter Butter cookies with twice the filling. No regular Nutter Butter cookies? I figured that the extra filled Nutter Butters would be fine.

This recipe originally called for the Nutter Butter cookies and the addition of milk chocolate chips. I had already decided that I was going to leave out the chocolate chips, as I figured that the Nutter Butter cookies were rich enough. I guess if I would have used the chocolate covered Nutter Butters and done it all in one step! I liked keeping the recipe just with peanut butter flavor. These bars baked up with no fuss and also cut easily. I love the ease of the bars and the peanut butter flavor!

Nutter Butter Bars
½ cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
12 Nutter Butter cookies, chopped
Additional chopped Nutter Butter cookies

Heat the oven to 350. Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar and mix until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, mixing on medium until combined. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until almost combined and then fold in the 12 chopped Nutter Butter cookies with a spatula.

Press the dough into the prepared pan. The dough is sticky, so you may need to use your hands to press the dough in evenly. Top the dough with additional chopped Nutter Butter cookies. (I used 5 chopped Nutter Butter cookies.)

Bake for 28-30 minutes, until the bars begin to brown around the edges. Allow them to cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into bars.

Recipe from Six Sisters’ Stuff

No comments: