Friday, August 23, 2024

Terry’s Chocolate Orange Cookies

A chocolate orange cookie, topped with a slice of a Terry's Chocolate Orange. Photographed on an orange pedestal plate

I was deciding between a couple of different cookies, but wasn’t sure which I should make. Both were more European, these with Terry’s chocolate orange (from the UK) and a recipe that called for candied fruit. I didn’t quite have enough candied fruit, and I had recently picked up a Terry’s chocolate orange bar so I went with these cookies. The bar I bought was on the small size, so I just used that for the topping.

These chocolate cookies don’t require chilling, which I thought was amazing! You can use Terry’s chocolate orange that you chop up or chopped chocolate and orange zest. I used semi-sweet chocolate and the zest of an orange, and that provided an excellent orange flavor. I still topped the cookies with a slice from the Terry’s chocolate orange bar, so the orange/chocolate nature of these cookies is clear.

The final recipe made very few cookies, so I made mine a little smaller. They were still on the larger side of cookies I typically make, and I made a little over two dozen. Using the Terry’s chocolate orange bar was challenging, as I couldn’t get clean orange slices from the bar. I had to trim each piece so it looked proper, and that wasn’t great. None the less, these are some of the best cookies that I have made! They have a beautiful fragrance of chocolate and orange and you just can’t wait to eat them!

Terry’s Chocolate Orange Cookies

110 grams butter, room temperature
200 grams packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
165 grams flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
30 grams cocoa powder
200 grams Terry’s chocolate orange, chopped or 200 grams chocolate chunks + 1 teaspoon orange zest
Terry’s Chocolate Orange Slices

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla (and orange zest if using) and mix again on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Mix until the dough is almost cohesive. Add the chopped Terry’s chocolate orange OR the chocolate chunks and stir until all of the ingredients are evenly incorporated.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets. I typically put about 8 cookies per baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are set. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then, if desired, top each cookie with a slice of Terry’s chocolate orange. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack.

Recipe from What Jessica Baked Next

No comments: