Friday, November 26, 2010

Big Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies



I bake for a lot of different events at work: birthdays, holiday parties, even for meetings sometimes. This year I am the chair of a committee which hosts two big meetings for particular members of the campus. I figured it would be nice to have homemade cookies at these meetings, especially since they are held fairly late in the afternoon when everyone needs a little boost. At the first meeting, I made snickerdoodles and ginger cookies. Someone asked “where are the chocolate chip cookies?” I figured I had better make chocolate chip cookies for the second meeting!

I don’t typically bake chocolate chip cookies, much to my husband’s chagrin. That’s what he always requests if I ask what to bake. I do like chocolate chip cookies, but I don’t think they are all that exciting to make. I guess you can always mix up the type of chips and add different add-ins, but this recipe is about as traditional as you can get. There are a couple of variations of this recipe floating around, but this one is from All Recipes. I make mine a little smaller than the original recipe, but these cookies turn out picture perfect and they are easy to put together.

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Stir in the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a spatula. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe from All Recipes

No comments: