Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Brioche Raisin Snails



This week for Tuesdays with Dorie, we got to do a rewind. A rewind is where we can either make a recipe we’ve already done, or make a recipe that you hadn’t made when it was selected. I was so excited to see that there was a rewind this week, because there were quite a few recipes that had been selected before I joined Tuesdays with Dorie that I wanted to make. It was almost as exciting as choosing the recipe for the week! I originally had in mind one particular recipe but ended up making the Brioche Raisin Snails.

This recipe had been selected by Peabody of Culinary Concoctions by Peabody fairly soon after Tuesdays with Dorie started. You can see her original post with the recipe at her wonderful blog. She is one of my favorite bloggers, but in this case that didn’t influence my decision! I don’t exactly know what inspired me to bake with yeast, since that takes quite a bit of time. I started looking at the sticky rolls, which use the same brioche dough as the raisin snails. I’ll make the sticky rolls later in the week when we have guests for Thanksgiving and I took the raisin snails to work for an extra treat.

This is a super rich dough, with lots of eggs and three sticks of butter! You make the dough in the mixer which is a lot easier than doing it by hand. My mixer was being a bit of a pain but it eventually started working the dough properly. You let it rise and then refrigerate it overnight, shaping the next day. That made it seem like it didn’t take quite so long. The second rise was an hour and a half and I was worried that they didn’t rise enough, but they seemed to bake up nicely. These were a nice treat, very different from the things I typically bake. The pastry cream filling disappeared somewhere in the rolls, which is interesting! These are sweet but not too much, and would be perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 56

1 comment:

Hindy said...

Your photo is lovely! This recipe was a delicious treat.